Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Year Updates

Hope everyone had a great winter break and is starting off the new year with lots of exciting lessons in your classrooms. I recently have been added as a District 5 Co-Representative. My name is Addie Simpson and I am an art teacher at Terre Haute North High School in Vigo County. I will be helping Sidney Allen represent you as teachers of District 5. I am very excited to get to meet everyone.

I thought I would start the year off with posting about the 2009 AEAI Fall Conference.

The 2009 AEAI Fall Conference had many things to offer art educators. The weekend was filled with many workshops and presentations that provided art teachers with new ideas for lessons, interesting ways to enhance their teaching, and a time to connect with other art teachers from the around the state.

Some of the highlights of the weekend included 3 keynote speakers that each talked about very important issues in art education. The weekend started with Terry Barrett, Ph.D., who is the author of 5 books ranging in the subject matter of art criticism to aesthetics. Dr. Deborah Reeve, the Executive Director of the National Art Education Association spoke to attendees on Friday. She focused on important issues in the art education field and explained her role as Executive Director. The conference ended with Jaune Quick-to-See Smith, who focused on her art and activism throughout the years.

A wide variety of workshops were also available for participants throughout the weekend. Areas of computer arts, painting, ceramics, drawing, fibers, and sculpture were available. I especially enjoyed a workshop on Global Art. The presenter gave teachers ideas on how to include art into all subjects. She focused on using recycled found objects to make a bas-relief. I walked away with a lesson plan and example that I incorporated into my introduction to sculpture class when I returned from conference.

The free district workshops were also a way for art teachers in each district to get to know each other. District 5 worked on making a primary and secondary color introduction book. Sidney Allen led the production of the books and each teacher left with an example to take back to their classroom.

The 2009 conference provided a lot of room for professional growth and time to have fun. I believe whether you are a veteran or beginning teacher it is always nice to be around other art educators and you can always learn something new. I hope everyone can attend the 2010 AEAI Conference which is going to be held November 4,5,6 at the Hilton Fort Wayne/Grand Wayne Convention Center.

No comments: